- Fire Prevention
As of April 1, 2017, the Middlesex County Fire Marshal manages and oversees all aspects related to fire prevention within the borough.
Fire Prevention is in charge of conducting inspections and issuing permits once it is determined that properties have satisfied the fire code. They are also responsible for enforcing the fire code. Fire Prevention works in tandem with the Fire Department to investigate scenes and declare the scene safe after a fire/emergency situation.
Specifically, Fire Prevention is in charge of the following services:
- Fire investigations of all fires to determine origin and cause
- Fire permits
- Fire prevention education at all schools within the borough
- Fire safety complaints
- Life hazard uses
- Non-life hazard uses (for all properties that are not owner-occupied one or two-family dwellings)
- State-mandated smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm inspection when residency property is being sold and/or rented
- Youth Fire Watch Program
The County Marshal will be working with the borough 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to provide fire prevention services to South River. County Fire Marshals are available to meet with any resident or business owner at any time. A resident can call or email to set up an appointment with a fire marshal.
Visit the Forms and Permits page to access documents.
The following users shall be exempt from the local permit and registration fees; however, they shall be required to properly apply for such permits and registrations and comply with all other code requirements to ensure fire prevention safety.
- Contractors and construction firms, when the activity is part of work performed under a valid permit issued by the Construction Department.
- Non-profit civic organizations, when applying for a use of an occasional nature (once or twice a year)
- Places of Worship. This shall apply to uses where the actual religious service takes place, uses for religious educational purposes, or uses of an occasional nature.
- South River Board of Education
- South River Borough
- South River Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Rescue Squad
- South River Fire Department
- South River Police Department
Mike GallagherFire MarshalPhone: 732-316-7171
Fire PreventionPhysical Address
1001 Fire Academy Drive
Sayreville, NJ 08872
Phone: 732-316-7171Fax: 732-721-7486