On February 27, 2017, the Governing Body voted to pass resolution 2017-124, creating an ad hoc (exploratory) committee to address the challenges of ineffective communications between the borough and residents/businesses.
The Council identified that ineffective communication can lead to many negative side effects and the committee was created to begin to tackle these challenges and develop solutions to begin rectifying them.
The borough has gone many years without many communications’ mechanisms that other organizations and municipalities have been utilizing for years. Rectifying some of these deficiencies can happen quickly, but others will require a planning before implementation. This year, the communications committee is merely exploratory, created by the power of the governing body. If successful, it is possible that this committee could become a more permanent fixture within the borough.
Items we are currently discussing:
- Identifying our current challenges
- Near-term solutions for implimentation
- Borough website improvement
- Other technology improvements to provide information to residents
- How to implement social media solutions
- Discussions on how to articulate the borough’s personality
- Creating communications policies for long term impact
- Developing more robust ways to keep residents informed during emergencies
- Increasing opportunities for resident feedback.
South River Communications Committee
Co-Chair Sandra Adelino
Co-Chair John Costello
Councilman Ryan M. Jones
Councilwoman Julie Meira